Cozy Veggie Korma! A boatload of comforting vegetables like potatoes, bell peppers, and green beans, and a creamy golden sauce with onion, garlic, ginger, warming spices. So comforting!
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 2 large garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- one 1-inch piece ginger, thinly sliced
- 6 cardamom pods
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon each turmeric and cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 gold potatoes, peeled and cubed (about 3 cups)
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups green beans, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1–2 red bell pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 cups cubed paneer (optional)
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup plain full-fat yogurt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
- 1/2 cup of water (if needed)
- cilantro to garnish
- rice for serving
- Cook aromatics: Melt the butter in a large soup pot or skillet over medium heat. Add onions, garlic, and ginger; sauté 5-7 minutes until softened.
- Add spices: Add cardamom, coriander, turmeric, cumin, red pepper flakes, and cinnamon; sauté 2-3 minutes until fragrant.
- Simmer the veggies: Add potatoes and water; cover and simmer for 8-10 minutes. Add green beans and bell peppers; simmer uncovered for 3-5 minutes, until all vegetables are tender. Add paneer (optional).
- Make it creamy: Bring the heat down to avoid curdling. When cooled slightly, add cream, yogurt, salt, and garam masala. Add the extra water if necessary to loosen it up.
- Prepare to feast: Season with salt and pepper, serve over rice, and top with cilantro. Creamy, comforting, and heavenly.
Spice Substitutions: The cookbook I studied up on recommended using whole spices when possible – for example, cinnamon sticks and dried red chile peppers, as this is the traditional way to build the flavor base in a lot of Indian cooking. I often don’t have cinnamon sticks or whole dried red chile peppers on hand, so I’m just sharing what I use instead which is ground cinnamon and red pepper flakes. But if you have the whole spices, go ahead and use them!
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Indian
Keywords: veggie korma, korma recipe, paneer recipe, vegetable korma